The Dramatists Guild Foundation recognizes achievement in the theater by administering and/or presenting the following awards.
The Flora Roberts Award
Named in honor of the famed theatrical agent, this award is presented to individuals in recognition and gratitude of their distinguished work in the world of theater and to encourage the continuation of that work.
The Kirkwood Award
Given in honor of author and playwright James Kirkwood to a theater whose mission includes the encouragement, nurturing, and mentoring of emerging playwrights.
The Madge Evans & Sidney Kingsley Awards for Excellence in Theater
Given respectively to a deserving stage actress and a playwright who are mid-career.
Past Recipients by year:
- Judith Light and Tony Kushner, 2018
- Audra McDonald and Craig Lucas, 2016
- Viola Davis and Lisa Kron, 2014
- Linda Lavin and Lynn Nottage, 2012
- Estelle Parsons and David Ives, 2010
- Laura Linney and John Patrick Shanley, 2008
- Marsha Norman and Lois Smith, 2006
- Ruby Dee and Edward Albee, 2005
- Terrence McNally and Judith Ivy, 2004
- August Wilson and Elizabeth Franz, 2003
- Uta Hagen and John Guare, 2002
- Julie Harris and Romulus Linney, 2001
- Marian Seldes and Donald Margulies, 2000
- Kathleen Chalfant and Christopher Durang, 1999
- Frances Sternhagen and Cherry Jones, 1998
The Thom Thomas Award
Since 2016, DGF has had the privilege of annually awarding the Thom Thomas Award to an alumnus of the Fellows program. This $10,000 award commemorates playwright Thom Thomas’s endless passion for nurturing the next generation of dramatists and his appreciation of DGF’s support of writers. The Thom Thomas Award is made possible through the generous support of his longtime friends and colleagues, Iris Rainer Dart and Helen Lee Henderson.The selected awardee demonstrates great artistic skill and articulates how they would put $10,000 to use. This can include livelihood expenses, project expenses, travel expenses – anything that will support their ability to create their best work.
Past recipients by year:
- Riti Sachdeva, 2019
- Stefanie Zadravec, 2018
- Sylvan Oswald, 2017
- Chisa Hutchinson, 2016